For most pregnant women, even if you already have a child, the labour and birth process can be both overwhelming and exciting at the same time.
The cause of anxiety is the fear of the unknown. Many women and their partners choose to attend childbirth classes to gather information and learn about their options. This builds confidence, lessens anxiety and provides a way forward for the birth experience.
The intricacies of pregnancy and labour can be learnt together in classes by stimulating discussions between a couple, helping to work through problem areas and finding solutions to make this life long journey of parenting the exciting path in life that it should be.
Your experience at childbirth classes will provide a great opportunity to meet other expectant parents who will have a child of the same age. Some participants stay in touch long after the classes are over and become lifelong friends.
The independent 6-week course (8 Modules), designed and taught by certified Childbirth Educator and Professional Doula, Bronwyn Holmes, is designed to provide your family with the most current evidence-based information, empowering you to make educated and informed decisions for your birth. Teaching covers the pros and cons of all the options for the birthing process. Once you have heard and understood all the different methods available to you – you then have the knowledge to make your own decisions. The classes help to prepare your family physically, mentally, and emotionally — not only for the birth, but for the subsequent postpartum period at home with the new baby.
Course topics include:
- Maintaining a healthy pregnancy
- Understanding the birth process
- Making informed decisions about childbirth
- Writing a birth plan/preferences
- Finding comfort during labour (positions, breathing, relaxation, visualization)
- Pain relief options
- Interventions, Inductions, Caesarean Birth and Unexpected outcomes
- Partner’s role in childbirth
- Postpartum tips and care
- Immediate care of the newborn
- Breastfeeding basics and infant care
What are the benefits of Childbirth Education Classes?
- Classes help build your confidence in your body’s ability to give birth.
- You will have options because you know your options.
- You will know how to make informed decisions.
- You can discuss your fears about labour and birth with the educator and other couples with the same concerns.
- Your partner will learn about childbirth and how to support you on the big day. You may find that attending childbirth classes together will create a special bond.
- You will discuss and have demonstrations on pain relief options, including massage, relaxation, breathing techniques and medications. You will have the opportunity to practice these in class.
- You will feel confident and prepared for the events ahead.
No matter what type of birth you are planning; hospital, birth centre or home, this form of childbirth preparation will prove to be invaluable to you and your partner.
HypnoBirthing uses deep relaxation, visualization, affirmations and deep breathing techniques to achieve a confident, peaceful, and positive birthing experience.
Parents will learn proven techniques creating a special bond between them and their precious baby. HypnoBirthing is a childbirth method that focuses on preparing parents for a gentle birth.
Some of the many benefits of HypnoBirthing:
- Reduces the fear-tension-pain cycle before, during and after labour.
- Reduces and often eliminates the need for an epidural, and other forms of pain medicine.
- May shorten the first stage of labour by several hours.
- Reduces fatigue, allowing more energy for active phase of labour.
- Empowers partners with the knowledge and tools to support the labouring woman.
- Creates happy, well-adjusted mothers, and in turn enables babies to have the same feeling.
- Creates a calm, peaceful, and confident birthing environment for you and your baby.
HypnoBirthing classes are a wonderful mind set to bring with you to your birth. Having a calm, peaceful mind, will allow mothers to have relaxed bodies, and in turn allow for an empowered birthing experience.